Friday, August 7, 2020

This is Being Black at Williams: Familiar Themes Include Politically Incorrect Sexual Attraction

WILLIAMSTOWN, MA - I noticed a fun Instagram account that you should probably read. The account is called @blackatwilliams. The Williams Record published an article about it on August 5, 2020. 

As far as I can tell, there are others similar to it at other schools. 

I read through all the posts. The overall impression I got was not that blacks were oppressed (or being killed) at Williams College, but that the concerns expressed by black undergraduates have changed very little from my days as a leftist student at Occidental College in the 1970s. 

All the familiar themes are there. Black women, for example, complain neither white or black men find them attractive enough. One comment reads:

"Hearing black men say that all other factors aside, they'd choose a less attractive white girl over a more attractive black girl." 

"At a school party, I ran into some white boys from my entry. They were talking about sex. I don't know how we got into it, but one of them mentioned to me that they did not want to have sex with a black girl. To me. A black girl." 

"I've heard multiple guy friends say they would never date a black girl." 

Many posts express irritation at whites who say the word "nigger" even when they are simply singing along to the lyrics of a song at a party. Still, more offense is created when non-blacks say nigger even if they are reading the word out loud in a classroom setting. 

"Whenever I was at a party I would get anxiety anytime a song with the n-word would come on." 

"In a popular Africana Studies class, a white student argued she should be able to use the n-word because she buys black artists' music (like on iTunes), and thus, according to her, she bought the right to repeat their lyrics." 

There are also the usual complaints that white and Asian students do not like to participate in labs where they are in a group that includes a black person. In their view, non-blacks are concerned that having a  black lab partner will weigh down the group's grade. 

"The way black students, especially black women, are treated in the bio classes is fucking ridiculous."

If true, I think these slights are most likely a side effect of affirmative action. Like other schools, Williams admits black students with lower test scores into Williams ahead of Asian or white students. It looks like everyone knows what is going on and that this unfairness generates predictable consequences. One black female student complained a fellow student said he was "was surprised that me and another black student from our city got into Williams even though we weren't athletes." 

Elsewhere, black students complain when others find their names difficult to pronounce or even remember. They also get uptight if someone mentions that their name seems like a white person's name. Among other no-nos included any belief that average IQ is influenced by race, displaying a Confederate battle flag, whistling Dixie, or - as mentioned earlier - the perennial disinterest in dating black women. 

All in all, Being Black at Williams is a very attractive site. The comments are displayed in alternating

fields of purple or gold with alternating gold or purple letters. The comments are short. It is a quick read to go through the whole thing. It has also been a huge success. It currently has over 3,000 followers. 

I know it inspired me. I set up my own version of this called @conservativeatwilliams. I've even set up a similar Google form page where conservatives can leave their own anonymous or semi-anonymous statements at how they were mistreated by the leftist, Marxist extremists on campus. If you want to participate in a conservative version of this exercise, please follow this link below or click on the photo to the right. 

https://linktr.ee/conservativeatwilliams

The Conservative at Williams site has been up long enough that I can report it has already acquired about 67 new followers. We have also received over 300 comments. Truthfully, many of these were spam comments from upset snowflakes concerned that giving a platform to conservatives was the woke equivalent of murder. 

I found it harder than I imagined to sort out what comments to print and whether or not I should use the name provided. It was not at all clear, for example, which comments were entirely insincere or falsely attributed. I have, for the most part, erred on the side of caution. 

Nevertheless, it was humbling and gratifying to read the comments of grateful conservative students and alumni who have taken an interest in this modest Instagram account. It was fun for me to set up and to learn the techniques behind it. If it keeps growing, I'll add regular updates to my schedule. If it becomes too much work, then I'm happy to hand it off to another social/political entrepreneur. 

John C. Drew, Ph.D. is an award-winning political scientist and a former Williams College professor. He is an occasional contributor at American Thinker, Breitbart, Front Page, PJMedia and WND.


No comments: